Monday, April 6, 2009

Ecuador Thoughts











>




Powerful experiences bring powerful thoughts. Gordon and I went to Ecuador to see the newest additions to our service program there. We were totally thrilled and excited to see what Washington had accomplished. I was moved to tears as I walked into the 4 clinics where I saw the equipment that we had sent, in use. We had sent old, dirty medical and dental supplies BUT the group there had cleaned every inch and serviced to work properly. They looked like new. We loved the crew there. There were 5 dentists, 3 doctors and drivers and assistants. They were wonderful, devoted, consecrated individuals! The country was beautiful. We traveled over the continental divide of the Andies Mountains to the jungle. It was breath-taking. We traveled to the Pacific Coast which was also amazing, with butterflies and humming birds and toucans and spectacular waterfalls.
But the thoughts I wanted to leave here was about the people. We served a small school in the mountains high above Otavalo. The doctors were busy giving immunizations to the babies and taking care of the needs of the children and mothers. The dentists were doing checkups and dental work. Usually at noon the village provides the lunch for the volunteers. Imagine my feelings as they brought our 2 bowls of small potatoes, a pan of cob-letts of tough corn, a plate of white cheese and salt. That was it. That was the only food they had to offer. I was humbled. I ate and was filled. In Tena we were given steamed fish wrapped in a banana leaf. I observed a nursery there. It was very sparse. I wanted to know why the little babies and children were there. Was the mother working? I was told that the children were brought there because they were fed!!! What is the biggest problem here I asked. The health director said it was women having too many children. They can't take care of them. She said that parents are actually relieved here when a child dies because it is a mouth less to feed. The government tries to help but the people don't have the skills and the know how to feed their population. There is some schooling but I could see it would never take them out of their circumstances. As I see these children who are ALWAYS hungry, I think back to Aidan's school where the trash can was full of wonderful food that wasn't eaten. Oh how we are BLESSED!

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Even the poorest in our nation are not comparable to those in 3rd world countries.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Clint Carter said...

It amazing how many people are being helped in Ecuador.

analee hirschi said...

YOu are having some great experiences. You may not be on a mission, but you sure are doing the Lord's work. We love your great example